"Life is short, eat dessert first."
John Poole may have taken Winston Churchill's words to heart when he opened Poole's Pie Shop in 1945 at 426 S. McDowell Street. For six years the cozy spot was a veritable holy grail of pies–all sweet–but soon their patrons wanted more. In the early 1950's, "chicken slick," sandwiches, and a daily "hot plate" made their way onto the Poole's menu, and the line to be served wrapped around the corner. The pie shop moved out, as Poole's Pies became Poole's Luncheonette, and a downtown hot-spot was born. We'd like to think it was the first.
In its latest incarnation Poole's has returned to its diner roots under the ownership of Chef Ashley Christensen. Marrying a clean aesthetic with retro-chic charm, Christensen restored and even highlighted the "bones" of the original restaurant, including the double horseshoe bar and red leather banquettes, pairing it with modern elements like Lucite chairs and oversized blackboard menus that change daily based on season and availability.